Monday, July 09, 2007
Good things come to those who WAIT
I'm HERE...it's my first post of the WEEK. See, "the week" to me means Monday through Friday, girls. However, I'm elated to know that you are all so excited to welcome me back! Wheeee!


I would have posted earlier in the day, but I had my 35 week OB check-up this morning, and then we had to run to the grocery store (I had to avoid my beloved Walmart, as a dead body was found in a car in the parking lot of the Walmart this morning. Yay.)


The OB visit was just a quick routine check up, and I was delighted to find I had gained just one pound over the last two weeks. Well, I was delighted for about 43 seconds, right up until the nurse put the blood pressure cuff on me and said, "We may have to use the larger cuff - but we'll see if the regular one works first." I wanted to swing my jiggly, pregnant arm fat at her and knock her out. And by the way, the regular cuff worked JUST FINE.


Today, you get belly pictures! I shall preface these pictures with my tale of Professional Portrait Hell. And then? You shall admire and savor each and every photo, and then send me numerous comments about how incredibly wonderful they are.


So I make an appointment at Glamor Shots (spelled wrong intentionally, so they can't bust me for illegally reproducing their stupid, over priced-pictures). I know it will be pricey, but I figure this is my last pregnancy and I should capture it in all it's glory on the most expensive photo paper ever invented. I also need the makeover, because at this stage of my pregnancy, I need professional help and very heavy makeup.


I was looking to spend no more than about $125 dollars. Please know that while I get professional photos of my children fairly often, I also hoard coupons for Penney's and walk out of there for about twenty bucks. $125 is my weekly Walmart budget (shut up, husband).


So we arrive at the mall. I HATE THE MALL. If you've been reading me for awhile, you'll remember the unfortunate incident where I fell in SOMEONE ELSE'S VOMIT at the mall.


Anyway, we all get our little makeover, and take family portraits first. Easy.


Then just me and Seth together. No problem!


Seth takes the kids for pizza at the Food Court while I stay behind for pictures of me alone. It was wonderful.


We finish the photos and I sit down to look at the prints on the computer and place my order. We're just starting to look through pictures when Seth returns with Garrett and Laura. It is 8:30 at night. This is where the shit started to hit the fan.


The kids are reasonably well behaved while we look at the pictures. Then my husband learns of the PRICE of the photos, and gets very red and sweaty. Basic sheets of portraits are $45 each. If you want any editing (say, to remove blemishes, sweat, whatever), it starts at FORTY DOLLARS PER FACE.
So, if we had wanted to beautiful portrait they showed us of our entire family, "glamour touched", it would have cost $205. FOR ONE SHEET. He then proceeds to tell the GS associate that, "This is PHOTOSHOP. I could do that myself at home. I cannot BELIEVE you are charging that." The associate cowers. I want to cry. I also want to give husband a swift kick under the table. I am also HORRIFIED at the cost. No "glamour touching" for us.


About this time, as my husband is sweating over the cost, my children are starting to feel at home...kicking, fighting, yelling, running. The photographer and makeup artist step in, thankfully, to help. One fixes Laura's hair in an updo and applies makeup, and the other plays with a beach ball with Garrett.


I tell Seth, "We just need to hurry up and decide. It's not their job to take care of OUR cranky children." Seth replies, loudly, that, "For the amount we're spending here, they can take care of them all damn night."


I feel bad about the excessive cost of the pictures I just HAD to have, I'm embarrassed about my children's behavior, I am hungry and swollen, and I am not looking forward to the money rant I'm going to hear all the way home.


We get the hell out of there, with three sheets of pictures, for $180. Plus the cost of dinner. Plus frozen custard on the way home for the weeping pregnant woman.


The children act like monsters all the way out. Laura wants to push the stroller, and nearly plows through a crowd of people. I don't want her to push it - Seth told her she could. We argue. As she is crashing through kiosks, my husband and I are arguing, and Garrett is jumping all around the candy machines (strategically placed every 200 feet throughout the mall) screaming, "I WANT SOME DESSERT! DESSERT, DESSERT, DESSERTTTTTTT!"


Then, I settle the stroller battle by taking one handle while Seth takes the other, with Laura still trying to push. This makes her irate. We look straight ahead, ignore the screaming and the judgemental stares, I'm hot and sweaty and trying not to sob, when a gentleman taps me on the shoulder and holds out Laura's shoe. It is then that we realize she has been on her knees, hanging onto the stroller with all her might, as we DRAGGED HER THROUGH THE MALL. And her shoe fell off in the process.


Seth makes for the fastest outdoor exit with Laura under his arm like a football (that is, if footballs could bellow and kick like all hell), and I continue waddling through the mall, with Garrett alternately begging for "Dessert" and to "go with DADDDDDDYYYY".


I make it to my car before I sob. And I sob all. the. way. home. And then some.


And to make this really long story short, GS called me a few days later with a "special offer", so I ordered some more pictures, and then some more. Our final total, including the original $180? Almost $400. I will post the most recent "special offer" portrait when it comes in. I may even scan and mail you all a copy, just to get my #$%$^^&%@ money's worth. Hell.


Yes, I am in a lot of trouble with the budget maker in our home. And no, the baby does not have a crib mattress, but DAMN, she has some nice first photos. Hee.







Note on the last photo: My belly and face do not REALLY look that good. I've been mercifully "glamour touched".

Labels: , , , ,



18 Comments:

Blogger Patiently waiting said...

OOOOh, I get to be the first to comment! I absolutely love the photos!!! Your family is beautiful. That sucks about the cost though, but what are you to do. We unfortunately have only had one professional photo shoot done of our family (and by professional, I am only talking Wal-mart) and we did indeed pay more than we planned on. I can't wait to see the new baby! Congratulations on handling the kids without having a total meltdown. (((hugs)))

Blogger Erica said...

Oh. My. GAWD!!! Those are the most beautiful pictures. And Seth...shut up. You look smokin hot girl. Your family looks awesome too. Good lord makes me want to be prego again just to get some pics like that. And really a dead body in the car? In the hometown or in the big town? 1 entry down, 4 to go. I thought maybe you went into labor just so you wouldn't have to blog. I also think you should have punched the bitch in the face for her rude comments about the friggin cuff. How obnoxiously rude. Anyway I love, love, love, the pictures.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a typical trip to the mall for our family too. I wouldn't have been staring at you judgementally at all. I would have been thinking, "Yes! We're not the only ones whose kids run willy-nilly!" :)

The pictures are beautiful. Costly, yes, but gorgeous. Your husband will forget about it soon enough.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear your still hanging in there! But, there's never a dull moment with you guys, huh? I love the pictures. The one of you and Seth looks awesome. I remember seeing a pic of you two like that with one of your other pregnancies, and I LOVE the idea. I can't wait until (someday...not yet though) we can have pics like that taken!!!
Lindsay

Blogger Cinderella Mom said...

How beautiful. I would love a family photo. No chance here though. Your pictures look so much better than my "let's take pictures in the back yard under the tree." CRAP! What a story you have to go along with your gorgeous pictures! Keep on!

Blogger Lost A Sock said...

You look awesome!! Your family always takes great pictures.

Also, I feel for you on the mall trip. Sadly, this is how trips to the mall do end all too often, eh?

We feel the same non-justification yet strong urges to throw money around in Picture People. Gorgeous photos, but pricey pricey. Always glad we get them in the end, though. (And oddly enough, I always sit and wait for the pics while Kevin takes the kids to the food court or play area.)

What's your due date again?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Look Awesome! If only I had looked beautiful pregnant.

Sorry about the price of the pictures. I spent way too much money also on the last ones I had made and they are still in a drawer waiting on the perfect frame.

Hug Laura for me, a girl has to make a stand for the important things once in a while. HEE!

P.S. Its too late for the news tonight. Which Walmart was the dead body at?

Carey






Carey

Blogger debi said...

Thank God you are back! You made us wait but it was worth it. Great post. The part where Laura lost her shoe made me laugh so loud everyone came in to see what was going on. Maybe I am the only one to agree with Seth. I have had the same conversation with photo folks. Not really a conversation more like thrown a fit.Your pictures really are good though. Everyone in the family photo is looking just right and smiling too. I love the ones you did for Xmas. You look great and I can't believe that baby is coming so soon. I will be back tomorrow since you pledged to post everyday this week. Missed you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that story made me laugh and go "awwww" and cringe in horror all at the same time. and no, i wasn't cringing at the photos - the photos are lovely! you are lovely! your family is lovely!

glamor shots, if you haven't figured this out, are total bullshit. i'd photoshop-retouch you. for free. keep that in mind next time :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!! I've been wanting to do this for a while with my daughter. But, the price makes me huddle in the corner and breathe into a paper bag. :)

Glad you're back--even if it's only for a short time!!

Blogger CPA Mom said...

I can't believe you are at 35 weeks already. Wowsa.

The pictures, while expensive, are heartbreakingly beautiful. I never would have thought of Glamour Shots.

Your trip to the mall along with meltdowns, sounds exactly like all of our trips to stores, etc. I would not have been judging you. Those asshats that did? Obviously have never had children. And need to be flogged.

Blogger Silly Hily said...

I just want to give you a big hug after reading that. You are my hero for making it to the car before you started to cry because I don't think I would have made it.
I took the Dominator to Target to get his latest pictures made and they did such a fabulous job. Yes, Target.
You know, even though it was a horrible experience and ended up costing a lot of money, those are some amazing amazing pictures. Pictures that you will have forever. The last picture that you will have as a family of four. The last picture (maybe) that you will have of you creating a miracle. These pictures are priceless which means they are worth every penny.
Also, you will be in the house for a couple of weeks after having the baby which means no $125 Walmart trip so there, that can help justify the price.
Last thing....35 weeks already? Really? Oh my gosh girl!!
Wait, one more thing, did I tell you how fabulous you look and how beautiful your family is?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love love love the pictures! Tell Seth that it will be ok. Now you have a crib mattress!!!! Love ya girl!
Lucy

Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Stacey, those pictures are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I believe they were worth every single penny! This is your last pregnancy and the last time you and Seth and Garrett and Laura will take a picture together!

Also, I am so very sorry about the crazy trip to the mall. I know how you feel!

But, I did laugh at picturing Laura being drug on her knees. Is that wrong?

Blogger SJINCO said...

Beautiful pictures! You look amazing and your family is "Oh So Cute!"

And really, you totally described my family and a trip to the mall. The arguing and the fussing the whole nine. I would have never have made it to the car holding back the tears, I would have just sobbed the entire time.

Blogger ~M~ said...

Awesome pictures...I'm glad that your pregnancy is going well. And tell your hubby to shut up about the cost...it's your last baby...you should have lots of pictures. Keep us updated.

Blogger alissa said...

Oh My God... you're ALREADY 35 WEEKS??? So fine, it's probably gone by faster for me than for you, but still... Wow. And shut up... you've only gained 15 pounds???! How is that even possible???

But the pictures... GORGEOUS! Such a huge regret of mine that I cheaped out for both my pregnancies. Think that's a good enough reason to go for #3?

Blogger alissa said...

Oh... and any chance you could provide a link back to the time when you fell in someone else's vomit? Now there's a story I would absolutely love to read!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer